Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Book of the Month II

I mentioned previously that I'm ready Nehemiah this month.  A verse of chapter 6 keeps entering my life as a refrain.  "They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, 'Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed.'  But I prayed, 'Now strengthen my hands.'"  (Nehemiah 6:9)

Nehemiah was facing opposition in trying to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem after the people of Israel returned from captivity in Babylon.  Different leaders of nearby tribes floated rumors and the like to thwart his leadership 

So much around the world is scary and seems to say you won't make it.  There is a vibe that your work in the world will not succeed and the constant onslaught wears you down.  

Remember, you are called by Christ to be light to the world.  You have a mission and a purpose.  Be Christ to your neighbor, share the love of God in your actions and words.

Nehemiah was called by God for a mission.  His success reminds me that when God is involved, and God's plans cannot be thwarted because as Dr Martin Luther King eloquently stated, "the arc of the universe bends towards justice".

When feeling ground down, pray "Strengthen me God for the mission you've given me."

Go, let your light shine so that others may see your faith in action and give God praise.


No comments: