Monday, February 25, 2008

Behavior Conversion

"First you make your habits, then your habits make you." Coach Suzanne Murphy, my senior year lacrosse coach in college.

The gospel text in John 4:4-42 totally changed me in 1999. Sean Burke, a TA I admired and respected at seminary, had just come out to me. I was stunned, shocked and not really sure what I said as we ended a chat after worship. What I do know, is that my homework for Biblical criticism that night was to read John 4.

God opened my eyes that day. Christ encountered a woman of a different faith background who was by Jewish law committing a sexual sin. Christ didn't respond to her with judgment or demand she change her ways. By simply meeting her, and her getting to know Christ, she went away and converted her whole village. We do not know what happens to her later, but she responded to Christ with tremendous faith.

So, the habit I needed to learn was clear. Lose the judgment, I had picked up in the military. It wasn't easy. I worked at it daily. Over time, it became a habit. Be the light of Christ in these challenging times. Welcome and accept people where they are at, and invite them to come and see the goodness of the Lord. It is Christ who melts hearts with love and mercy, not judgment and threats.

Once a week, late at night, I'll see Sean is online. We'll IM back and forth and share the joyous of ministry. He is now a New Testament professor at a college helping students see Christ in the world around them.

God is good, all the time.

No comments: