Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Scooby Snacks

Scooby Doo has been a favorite cartoon of mine for decades. There is something about blending a dog, mystery, and a riff from the Air Force Song (off we go into the wild blue yonder) that speaks to me.

Seriously, I identify with Scooby Doo. Almost daily, I encounter situations where I want to be brave and courageous, but instead I feel anxious, afraid, too scared to try. Then I remember, the Scooby Snacks of faith, the sacraments that connect me to the divine. Yup, the water, and the bread and the wine, all remind me God made a promise to me. Remembering God is with me fills me with courage to "do" what needs to be done.

Philip Melanchthon was afraid to enter a debate one day, and begged Luther to take his place. Melanchthon whined about not knowing the faith well enough to promote the reformers views appropriately. Luther retorted, "Sin boldly and believe more boldly still."

In other words, sometimes we step out in faith to do the right thing and later discover it wasn't perfect. Then we trust in God's mercy and forgiveness found in the Christ to continue living. If I err, I confess (apologize) and return to the Lord.

Remember, God came down, so we can reach out to others. Share the good news of Christ and rejoice.

No comments: