Saturday, February 23, 2008

Criticisms we face

One of the disheartening parts of being a pastor is hearing others "bash" Christians for being hypocrites. That we do not practice what we proclaim in the sanctuary. It's true, collectively as the body of Christ we have fallen short of the high standards Jesus set for us. Ghandi once remarked "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Bill Maher takes aim at Christians as well in this clip found on youtube.com, the language is not totally clean, HBO cable is not regulated by FCC.


It would be easy to respond with anger, or to laugh this off. I disagree with practicing my faith privately, Christ so shapes my life that is fully integrated into my thought processes.

All that said, I take some of Bill's comments as a prophetic word. It reminded me of one day in the USAF, when Capt Jewell and I debated faith issues. He asked point blank, "If you believe in forgiveness so much, why are Christians so afraid to admit when you make a mistake? Would you be better off to just say, Sorry, we got it wrong, and we'll do better next time"

Since then, I have strived to admit mistakes and failures. Daily, I examine my life and see where I too fall short and fail. Then following Christ's teachings, I repent. If what I did hurt someone, I seek them out and apologize, maybe even doing something as restitution. Next step is turning around to realign myself with God's Word. Psalm 51 humbles me

"1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge."

I think over the last 20 years, the word Christian has changed its social meaning. Many view Christian as a brand name...Christian books stores, Christian bands/music, etc. Christian is not a brand name that we wear like Izod, Champion, or LL Bean. It is a way of living in the world, trying to bring God's light of love and mercy to the dark scary places of the world. I think that's why the Mac/PC mock ad struck such a chord with me.

No comments: