Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesday's Word: Honorable

"think about what is honorable"

Once again, we find a word with a plethora of meanings.  For a complete run down, I invite you to click on this link:  www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/honor

What people or things in your life are worthy of you honoring?  A person?  A special event?

When we honor someone, we take time out to acknowledge all of the good things the individual has done.  There are days when I see nothing but bad stuff and it is easy to fall into a rut and assume that people are bad.  When I notice this mind set, I force myself to see the good things first.  I find that when I start by honoring someone, seeing them as a gift from God, my relationship improves.  Whether a little thing, or a big thing, to start with honoring values who they are as God's children.

In Philippians 4:8 Paul takes the pagan values, and tells Christians there is nothing wrong with these things.  In fact, he goes on to say Christ embodied these traits.  He thought about and did whatever was true, honorable, just, pure, pleasing, commendable, excellent, things worthy of praise.  This is why Paul implores us to think about and do the same.


No comments: