Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What's in a title?

For a few years, I've been interested in the differences between titles of clergy mostly pastor vs minister.    For some the titles are interchangeable for protestant clergy.  I've always chaffed from one title more than the other and lately I've pondered if what people call me is a "tell" of what they expect of me in my role.

So I went to Merriam-Websters online dictionary to learn the origins of the words.  Here's what I learned: 

Pastor:  Etymology Middle English pastour, from Anglo-French, from Latin pastor herdsman,
Minister:  Etymology: Middle English ministre, from Anglo-French, from Latin minister servant

The job description for clergy in the parish requires both leading and serving.  With all the issues before the church, does it matter if the ordained leader is seen primarily as the shepherd rather than servant or vice versa?

Personally, I prefer the title pastor.  The herdsman had goals and visions for the flock.  We need to go here for water, graze here for food.  The goals and visions ensured the needs of the flock were met.

Minister is a servant who tends to the wants and the needs of others.  A minister might speak and make a request, but the master could always say, Your request is noted, and ignored.

I am called to do both duties, I think seeing myself primarily as Pastor frees me to take the long view of events, encourage others to share in the ministry of meeting needs, and be an advocate for justice.

2 comments:

Jerome Cloninger said...

So, what does one do with the title "Preacher," as I often hear in my new call here in North Carolina? I too like the title pastor, but have come to answer to a host of things. Thanks for the post. Jerome

Pastor Kim said...

Jerome,
wow, nice to hear from you. My hypothesis would say you just need to concentrate on preaching the good news. Of course whether or not you proclaim with your deeds and words or just one of the above is another story :)

Blessings to you and your family in the new call.
Kim