Friday, October 9, 2009

I wonder

What would happen if we stopped using fear as a motivator? I'm tired of the 33% of (insert group here) will experience (insert disaster of your choice) on the evening news.

Why is it that we go so quickly towards the negative? I can't answer that today, and perhaps someday in the future I will understand the answer. Until that time, I'm resolving to reframe life in positive ways.

I believe this is what scripture says: " Don't worry! Don't panic! Live the trust you feel towards God in every moment of your life." Joel chapter 2 is filled with God's promise of restoration: "Don't be afraid, my people. Be glad now and rejoice for the Lord has done great things...once more the autumn rains will come as well as the rains of spring. The threshing floors will again be piled high...The Lord says, I will give you back what you have lost..."

So when I hear "33% of (insert group here) will experience (insert disaster of your choice)", I will focus on 67% of people are okay not going to experience disaster in whatever form (illness, natural, crime, addiction, etc), and I'd like to work to increase that number to 100% people having the good stuff rather than 0% bad. Is it the same? Sure mathematically, but I believe in these times, hearing good news is essential.

The need for Good News is why Jesus declared: "So don't worry about these things, saying 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear? These thoughts dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs."

We belong to God, fear, love, and trust God the most.

No comments: