Friday, April 25, 2008

Tribute to Kevin Schultz

Shock, pure utter shock. On April 11, 2008, my friend and seminary classmate Kevin Schultz died of complications of pneumonia. Kevin was a creative genius, more secure in what God was calling him to do than the rest of us. He was called to be a lay leader, specializing in liturgy and stewardship. He had no calling to be an ordained pastor, and even though he had the skills to be an excellent parish pastor, he would look ya in the eye and say "Nope, I'm called to do this." Whenever I need a laugh, I recall the way he revised Daniel 3, the three men in the fiery furnace. His coaching allowed normally serious seminary students to let loose and talk in silly voices to play the different parts...including some as musical instruments.

So now I cling to the resurrection promise and pray for God to comfort Kevin's family by swirling in the empty void where he once stood; making them feel whole. Blessed are you O' God of Israel, you have come to your people to set them free. Indeed you have set us free from death, strengthen our faith and trust in the promise of Christ "I am the resurrection and the life, whoever believes in me even though they die will live" Strengthen us in our trust so that this promise is sweet sugar to remove the bitter taste of grief. Amen

No comments: